From Greyhawk WikiJump to navigationJump to search
The night of the Winter Solstice is called Midwinter Night, also known as Dark Time, Dim Time, and Handmaiden's Glory. It is this night when Luna is completely dark and only Celene is visible in the sky. It is the longest night of the year.
Holidays and observances
- Fist of Eternal Malachite (Hextor): Hextorians mark this day to celebrate either the victory of the House of Naelax during the Turmoil Between Crowns, or the victories of a local ruler.
- The Grand Administrative Council (Greyhawk): On this day, Greyhawk's Directing Oligarchy meets with the city's petty nobles.
- Yeartide (elves): The elves believe on this day the earth is purified beneath her blanket of snow. They observe the date with quiet meditation of the past year and on things to come.
- Clerics of Celestian conduct all-night services of moonwatching and stargazing on Midwinter Night.
- Clerics of Garyx celebrate All-Consuming Night on the winter solstice.
- Midwinter Night is also considered holy by followers of Kurell.
- McComb, Colin. The Complete Book of Elves. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1992.
- Kestrel, Gwendolyn F.M., Jennifer Clarke Wilkes, and Kolja Raven Liquette. Races of the Dragon. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2006.
- Miller, Andy. "Campaign Holidays." Dragon Annual #4. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 1999 (pp. 18-19).