Sword of Kas
|Greyhawk magic item|
|Sword of Kas|
|The Sword of Kas and its master, as depicted in in Vecna: Hand of the Revenant. Art by Kevin McCann.|
|First appearance||Eldritch Wizardry (1976).|
The Sword of Kas, variously described as a short sword, longsword, or greatsword, was crafted by Vecna. The blade is said to have been magically honed to a razor's edge, enhanced the wielder's strength, and could be used to call down lightning bolts from any stormclouds that might be overhead. The sword itself is intelligent, possessing a vile and murderous spirit.
The history of Kas the Bloody Handed is irrevocably linked to Lord Vecna, for his Sword was created by Vecna's own skill. Kas was Vecna's lieutenant, his warlord and assassin, and the Sword was his symbol of authority. The Sword was as evil as its maker, and it whispered dreams of treachery to Kas until finally, blade in hand, he confronted his dread master. The battle between the two was titanic, and both are said to have died in the end. All that remained behind were the Sword of Kas and the Hand and Eye of Vecna.
The Sword of Kas first appeared in the Original D&D supplement, Eldritch Wizardry. It was one of the first artifacts detailed for the Dungeons & Dragons game. The sword has been updated many times and has even been the object of quests as in the adventure Vecna Lives.
- Cook, David. Book of Artifacts. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1993.
- -----. Vecna Lives!. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1990.
- Cordell, Bruce, et al. Open Grave. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2009.
- Cook, Monte, Skip Williams, and Jonathan Tweet. Dungeon Master's Guide. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2000.
- Gygax, Gary. Dungeon Master's Guide. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1979.
- Henson, Dale, and Doug Stewart, eds. Encyclopedia Magica Vol 4. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1995.
- Thorsson, Modi, and Kevin McCann. Vecna: Hand of the Revenant. Iron Hammer Graphics, 2002.