Occuring on Richfest 4, the Summer Solstice, also called Midsummer Day, marks the beginning of high summer on the Greyhawk Calendar. This is the longest day of the year, but the night is especially significant, as this is when both Luna and Celene shine full in the sky, drawing the beast out of the world's lycanthropes and possibly heralding other portentous events. The sun, Liga, appears furthest north among the stars on this date.
Holidays and observances
Holidays celebrated during the summer solstice include:
- Agelong (elves)
- The Brilliance Celebration
- Foundation Day (Narwell)
- The Holy Day of Pelor (Pelor)
- The faithful of Rao consider the night of the summer solstice to be an especially holy time, for they believe the moons were Rao's gift to guide humanity from the darkness of Tharizdun.
In other media
- Estes, Rose. The Eyes Have It. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1989.
- Gygax, Gary. The World of Greyhawk. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1980 (ISBN 0-935696-23-7).
- -----. World of Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1983 (ISBN 0-88038-344-5).
- Lai, Gary. "Hopeful Dawn." Dungeon #41. Renton, WA: TSR, 1993.
- McComb, Colin D. The Complete Book of Elves. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1992.
- Miller, Andy. "Campaign Holidays." Dragon Annual #4. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 1999 (pp. 18-19).