|Rautheene, as depicted in Dragon #359 (2007).|
|Age||Unknown (probably born in 560s CY)|
Rautheene has been described as "stunningly beautiful," with long black hair, and a slender frame. She is very tall, taller even than Mordenkainen and Elminster, and favors low-cut black gowns and jet jewelry. Her tinkling laughter is described by Ed Greenwood as "the merriest . . . I've ever heard."
Rautheene is an apprentice of Mordenkainen, and also knows Elminster of Toril and Dalamar of Krynn. It is assumed that, as his apprentice, Rautheene makes her home in Mordenkain's Obsidian Citadel.
Virtually nothing is known of Rautheene's past. She became Mordenkainen's apprentice shortly after the end of the Greyhawk Wars, along with two other young female wizards. It was some time after becoming Mordenkainen's apprentice that she was introduced to Elminster and Dalamar on an alternate Oerth known as Earth. Soon thereafter, Rautheene began joining her master on his irregular trips to Earth to meet with Elminster, where she assumed the role of the third of the "Wizards Three" in lieu of the missing Dalamar.
Rautheene first appeared in Dragon #219 as one of Mordenkainen's three unnamed apprentices in "The Wizards Three: Warmer Than Expected." She is not named until the next installment of the series, "The Return of the Wizards Three" (Dragon #238), where Mordenkainen references her previous appearance. Rautheene would go on to appear in future Wizards Three features, in Dragon #242, #246, #344, and #359. To date, she has not appeared in any other official Greyhawk work.
- Greenwood, Ed. "A Dark and Stormy Knight: Another Evening With the Wizards Three." Dragon #344. Bellevue, WA: Paizo Publishing, 2006.
- -----. "Goodbye and Hello, as Always: One Last Evening with the Wizards Three." Dragon #359. Bellevue, WA: Paizo Publishing, 2007.
- -----. "Jest the Wizards Three." Dragon #242. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 1997.
- -----. "The Return of the Wizards Three." Dragon #238. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1997.
- -----. "The Wizards Three." Dragon #246. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 1998.
- -----. "The Wizards Three: Warmer Than Expected." Dragon #219. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1995.