Chaos of Limbo
|A map of Limbo, as depicted in Manual of the Planes (2001).|
|Native Inhabitants||Slaad, neraph, githzerai, Limbo stalker, chaos imp, chaos beast|
|Greyhawk Powers||Procan, Kurell, Ralishaz, Ygorl, Chourst, Rennbuu, Ssendam, Fenmarel Mestarine|
Limbo or, more fully, the Ever-Changing Chaos of Limbo, is a chaotic neutral-aligned plane of existence.
Limbo is a place of pure chaos where everything is in constant motion and change, especially the landscape, which can shift unpredictably and randomly rolls over upon itself like liquid. Very few places in Limbo are stable enough for normal travel.
Limbo is home to the slaadi and their lords (most notably Ygorl and Ssendam), and to the githzerai. Very few gods call Limbo home, as the plane is not well-suited to any sort of permanent structures. The shared realm of Tempus and the Red Knight can be found on Limbo, as can Shaundakul's realm. The elven god Fenmarel Mestarine calls this chaotic plane home as well.
Limbo is sometimes said to have five layers, though if this is true every layer looks more or less the same (or equally different), and the same sites and realms drift from layer to layer freely. Limbo borders Ysgard, the Outlands, and Pandemonium; travel may be possible between these planes at certain locations. Portals in Limbo may be wells, doors, pools, bottomless openings in chaos, archways, etc.—they are usually more stable than the surrounding plane. One such portal leads to Olidammara's den in Ysgard. The Immeasurable is an unusually chaotic region that contains the portal to the town of Xaos in the Outlands.
The plane of Limbo is the location of a number of godly realms:
- The elven god Fenmarel Mestarine's realm, Fennimar.
- Indra, Vayu, and Agni's realm, Swarga.
- Kurell's realm, the House of Locks.
- Llerg's realm, Beasthaven.
- Procan's realm, Seasedge.
- Ralishaz's realm, the Kiss of Luck.
- Shaundakul's realm, Shaunadaur.
- Shina-Tsu-Hiko's realm, Windshome.
- Sirrion's realm, the Flame Void.
- Tempus and the Red Knight's shared realm Knight's Rest.
- The Spawning Stone is the focus of the slaadi race, created by Ygorl and guarded by Ssendam.
- Shra'kt'lor and the Floating City are the twin capitals of the githzerai people; Shra'kt'lor is the military capital and the Floating City is their center of learning and mysticism.
- Susanoo's realm , the Globe of Raging Chaos.
- Chaos dragon
Limbo is named after the Limbo of Catholic mythology although, apart from being between Heaven and Hell, there is little similarity of philosophy between the two realms. In appearance, it is based on the Abyss in John Milton's Paradise Lost.
- Cook, Monte. The Planewalker's Handbook. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1996.
- -----. Tales From the Infinite Staircase. Renton, WA: TSR, 1998.
- Grubb, Jeff. Manual of the Planes. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1987.
- Grubb, Jeff, David Noonan, and Bruce Cordell. '[Manual of the Planes. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2001.
- McComb, Colin. On Hallowed Ground. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1996.
- McComb, Colin, and Monte Cook. The Great Modron March. Renton, WA: TSR, 1997.
- Noonan, David. Complete Divine. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2004.
- Pramas, Chris. The Vortex of Madness. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2000.
- Smith, Lester W., and Wolfgang Baur. Planes of Chaos. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1994.