|Ehlonna as Ehlenestra, as depicted in Deities and Demigods (2002).|
|Title(s)||Ehlonna of the Forests|
|Home Plane||Wilderness of the Beastlands|
|Class(es)||Ranger 20/Druid 10/Cleric 10|
|Portfolio||Forests, Woodlands, Flora, Fauna, Fertility|
|Domains||Animal, Celerity, Good, Plant, Purification, Sun|
Ehlonna is the goddess of Forests, Woodlands, Flora, Fauna, and Fertility. Ehlonna is known to the elves as "Ehlenestra." Her holy symbol is a rampant unicorn or a unicorn's horn.
Ehlonna is variously depicted as an elven or human woman, and often associates with unicorns and other sylvan creatures. When in human form, Ehlonna appears as a dark-haired human woman, but as Ehlenestra, she appears as a golden-haired elven maiden. Her eyes are deep blue or startling violet. Her garments may be the practical garb of a ranger or the rich gown of an elven princess. She carries a longbow that always hits its target.
Her human aspect has special powers over horses, while as Ehlenestra she has similar command over unicorns.
Ehlonna has an intense rivalry with Obad-Hai. Where the neutral good Ehlonna advocates the beauty and goodness of unspoiled nature, the true neutral Obad-Hai sees nature as brutal and uncompromising. She is an enemy of Karaan, who represents nature's dark side. She is friendly with the Seldarine and most good-aligned deities, and allied with Atroa. She is served by a planetar named Novalee.
Deep within the Beastlands layer of Krigala is the Grove of the Unicorns, a realm she shares with the like-minded goddess Mielikki. The grove sits at the base of a cluster of great sequoias that form a natural cathedral for those beneath the canopy. The lowest branches of the trees are hundreds of feet in the air, such that those with wings can fly through Ehlonna's cathedral without difficulty.
Those who reside within the borders of Ehlonna's realm live in peace with the trees and animals, and they are similarly left alone by the wild creatures. The thinking creatures of the Beastlands adore Ehlonna, ensuring that she is often aware of occurrences that happen far from her domain. True to its name, the grove attracts groups of unicorns. In addition, there are herds of bariaurs in Ehlonna's service. The grove is not far from Skerrit's realm; centaur petitioners are found in Ehlonna's realm and unicorns in Skerrit's.
All spells cast by rangers within the Grove of the Unicorns are enhanced, and all spells that create food or water are exceptionally bountiful. Ehlonna and Mielikki have the power to make other alterations to magic within their realm, if they so desire.
Ehlonna teaches that the animals and plants of the forests are gifts, and not to be stolen. She is often the goddess of rangers and druids and opposes hunters and those who would rape the land for fun or profit.
Ehlonna is the patron of all good-aligned folk who love the forests. She is worshipped by hunters, trappers, foresters, rangers, woodcutters, and more. Brownies, elves, gnomes, and halflings are especially attuned to Ehlonna of the Forests, and will willingly aid her.
For clerics of Ehlonna/Ehlenestra, her domains include Animal, Celerity, Good, Plant, Purification, and Sun. Her favored weapons are the longbow and the longsword. Clerics of Ehlonna wear pale green robes.
Each cleric of Ehlonna chooses a species of plant as her special ward. She must see to it that her species flourishes and that its properties are respected by common folk. Clerics of Ehlonna often carry the seeds of their chosen plant with them on journeys.
Temples to Ehlonna are usually camouflaged lodges in sylvan settings, although small shrines often exist in villages.
Ehlonna's services involve vessels of horn and wood, the playing of pipes and flutes, and various herbs. Typical prayers to Ehlonna feature at least two references to positive aspects of the forest. Her ceremonies take place in the forest where possible and involve the various aspects of fertility. Children take part in the more innocent ones.
Artifacts and associated magic items
A number of magic items are associated with Ehlonna.
- Armor of the Fallen Leaves: Ehlonna created the Armor of the Fallen Leaves and gifted it to Obad-Hai at a time when relations between the two deities were warm enough to allow this.
- Ehlonna's Seed Pouch: This item contains what appear to be six ordinary acorns; when dropped, the acorns become treants, walls of thorns, or grenades.
- Raptor Arrows: These five arrows acheived relic status when Ehlonna used them to slay a great wyrm green dragon. Each arrow returns to the bow once it is fired.
- Conforti, Steven, ed. Living Greyhawk Official Listing of Deities for Use in the Campaign, version 2.0. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2005. Available online:
- Grubb, Jeff, Bruce Cordell, and David Noonan. Manual of the Planes. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2001.
- Gygax, Gary. "The Deities and Demigods of the World of Greyhawk." Dragon #68. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1982.
- -----. World of Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1983.
- Holian, Gary, Erik Mona, Sean K. Reynolds, and Frederick Weining. Living Greyhawk Gazetteer. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2000.
- McComb, Colin. On Hallowed Ground. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1996.
- Noonan, David. Complete Divine. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2004.
- Perkins, Christopher. Warriors of Heaven. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 1999.
- Redman, Rich, Skip Williams, and James Wyatt. Deities and Demigods. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2002.
- Wood, Sam. "Window on the World." Dragon #290. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2001.