|Charon, Boatman of the River Styx, as depicted on the cover of Dungeon #148 (2007).|
|Title(s)||Boatman of the River Styx|
|Home Plane||The River Styx|
Charon (also known as Cerlic) is a powerful altraloth, a lord of the yugoloths, reportedly transformed into a more powerful creature by the night hags of the Gray Waste. Charon's role is to provide travel on the River Styx, but he always charges a steep price and kills those who cannot or will not pay. Charon commands a legion of marraenoloths who provide the same service.
Charon appears as a large, skeletal humanoid wearing dark robes, with glowing green eyes.
Charon is named for Greek mythology's boatman of the River Styx. Dungeons & Dragons statistics for Charon first appeared in 1983's Monster Manual II.
- Bonny, Edward. "Pox of the Planes." Dragon Annual #2. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1997.
- Grubb, Jeff. Manual of the Planes. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1987.
- Gygax, Gary. Monster Manual II. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1983.
- McComb, Colin. Faces of Evil: The Fiends. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1997.
- McComb, Colin, Dale Donovan, and Monte Cook. Planes of Conflict. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1995.